Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Walk with the Captain on the land

Today I am to have the honor of being shown the property with the Captain as my guide. He appeared as I was having breakfast and asked if he could take me about. He said that he has not been out of his home for a long time because he had to watch out for all those people that wanted to buy his home and change everything about it. One in particular he disliked. A man he said that wanted to change the mansion into a hotel. Oh!! some of the things he did to get rid of that fellow made me laugh out loud.  He had to laugh himself when he told me about them.  The man had asked to stay the night because he didn't believe the local stories of a ghost in the mansion.  Well, the Captain told how he moved his coffee cup around the table. Made the doors open and slam shut, Laughed loudly in the bedroom where he decided to sleep the night. Made the table rise and kept turning the lights on and off. He had to laugh himself when he said that the man jumped up out of bed and grabbed his clothes and ran out of the house in the middle of the night. I could just picture that scene and smiled. I asked him how far he was able to travel outside of his house, I thought he had to stay in the house .He said no, that he could go any where on his property but not off of it. He was to stay in the house and only as far as his property went.

He took me for a walk through a wooded area and I could hear water cascading loudly and asked him where that sound was coming from. He looked at me and smiled and said,"Have a wee bit of patience lass, enjoy what I am showing you, soon you will see where that sound is coming from."

When we walked out of that small wooded area I just stopped and looked in awe. Right before me was the most beautiful mountain waterfall I have ever seen in my life. There were three or four separate streams of water cascading over this mountain and that was the sound I had heard as the water fell . The area had a sweet minty smell and a slight mist could be felt as we neared this marvelous scene. I had no words to explain how I felt standing there and looking at this magnificent natural creation. All thoughts escaped my mind as it was filled with the beauty and overwhelming feeling of peace that this mountain waterfalls gave to me. The Captain stood just looking at me and then the falls, and he finallyspoke in a soft voice.

"Now you see lass, not just anyone could have this home and land of mine." "I wanted someone that would appreciate all this natural beauty and not change a thing. Many a day and night I have spent here. Just enjoying the peace it brings to my heart and soul." "I can see that it affects you the same way lass, and that makes me feel the better for chosing to let you stay."

I was speechless. I just stood and admired this gift. I was not showned this when I came to see the house. I asked the Captain if the others had seen this waterfall when they came to look at the house, he let out a loud laugh and said no that he had scard them away long before they ever got to see any of the property. He knew that if they saw this wonder of nature it would be harder to make them go away.

I felt quite honored that the Captain brought me here and I asked him if he would mind if I wrote about it and he just smiled and said that it was fine with him as long as I let him read whatever I wrote. He said he hadn't had anything new to read in a very long time. We agreed on this small concession, for I told him he could read anything that I wrote if he chose too.

Then he said he wanted to show me the shore line on the other side of his property and so we walked for about fifteen more minutes and there before me was the cove and there were sail boats slowing making their way out into the ocean. They looked so beautiful in the morning light as they made their way out of the cove. In the distance you could see the white lighthouse with the American flag fluttering in the soft breeze. It was as if you were looking at a picture made by a famous artist. How lucky I was to stumble onto this mansion, and cove. How lucky that the Captain was giving me a chance to prove that I meant what I said about not changing a thing in that beautiful mansion and not letting anyone take anything out.

I think it is going to be quite an adventure living in this mansion with a ghost in attendance. We stayed on that hill overlooking the cove and watched the boats for a very long time. Peace, peace is all I could think of as I stood there. I don't know how long I was daydreaming , but when I went tospeak to the Captain , I turned and he was gone.  He had left or disappeared because I could see two people walking toward me from the other side of the hill.  I wasn't expecting company and wondered why they were there. Well, I would find out soon enough as they neared and waved at me. I waved back and finally they were standing in front of me. I asked what I could do for them and smiled. They said that they had seen me walking on the hill and just thought to say hello and introduce themselves as they were my neighbors and owned the land ajoining mine. I thanked them for coming over to introduce themselves and said that I had better get back to the mansion as I still had alot of things to do before the place would be completely finished. They nodded and started to walk away and said that they would be inviting me to dinner soon and hoped that I would come and meet their family and some of the neighbors around. I told them it would be wonderful and I would love to come, but to give me a little time to settle in to my new home.  It was agreed that in the near future I would go and have dinner and meet with  them.

I started back to the mansion and picked wild flowers on the way. How many beautiful fields of color were before my eyes. It was like looking at rainbows waving in the breeze. Oh!! I know I am going to love Cutters Cove, and my new home and all the new adventures I knew I would experience here. I could only smile and continue my walk back home.   Home---what a marvelous thought. MY HOME. 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janice..
You were truly here today..here inside of this place that you call cutters cove..a great written entry..more please!
jo..mistaculangel....
http://journals.aol.com/mistaculangel/TheFishnet/

Anonymous said...

Hi Janice I enjoy your pictures as much as your words there wonders together
your doing good here and I plan on comming back to visit your new home near the shore next to the lighthouse. Bless you keep it comming
Your Friend Jimbo2725
to become a great writter you must understand what you are reading and read others writting this is what my new talents have shown me.