Monday, June 27, 2005

The Captains Birth Place

I was looking out of the patio doors when I spotted the Captain standing on the top of the cliff overlooking the cove. I decided to walk out and talk to him. When I approached he turned and bid me a good morning.

I asked him why he was out here and he said that at times he gets lonesome for his home. His real home. I didn't know what he meant and asked him to tell me about it.

"Well Lass," he said. " I come from Ireland and I had a great great grandfather that owned a castle . It was hugh and wonderful and my parents would tell me all about the different things that went on in the castle. They took me to see it many times and each time I enjoyed it more. It had been in our family for generations and my clan still live around that castle. My great great grandfather and his sons  and there sons were the Lairds of this castle and our clan. They had fought many battles defending the castle and lands around it. Our lands. Our clans lands. I grew up on all the stories and mysterys of Ireland. The beautiful causway and the sea. These all called to me since I was a wee lad. I was entralled by the long boats and the mighty sails that fluttered in the wind and took these boats to all parts of the world. I decided then and there that I would be a Captain one day and man my own boat and many more . I have sailed up and down Irelands coast and all of the other countries for dyes and spices and many other goods that were not available in Ireland. I canna tell you all the joy being on the boat and letting the wind take you out toward other land feels. It is like being in your own world and you are the master of it and no one can take that away from you."

I just listened quietly and stood there as the Captain gazed out into the cove and watched the boats coming in and going out. He was in his time and on his journeys. He was silent for a long time and we both just stood there, each in our own world just enjoying the scene before us and remembering happy moments from the past.

All at once, he started to speak again and said that he would like me to write a book about his adventures if I felt like it. I was thrilled. I had wanted to aske the Captain if he would let me do just that thing , but I was a little afraid that he would not. I smiled,and said that I would be honored to write his stories down and we could start anytime he wanted.

"well, lass," he said. " I will let you have some time every day and you can write and ask me about my adventures." "but, you must promise me one thing, that you will not mention that I am a ghost and reside in this house. I donna want everyone coming here to bother me ." "Will you promise me that lass?"

I smiled. "Of course, I will promise," I said. "I feel the same as you do. I don't want anyone coming and bothering me either." So we made this deal standing watching the boats and just enjoying the view. Tomorrow I will start writing about the Captains adventures. I can hardly wait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for adding to this your endless story about you and that captain of all time ever..sure would love to see a picture of him.
jo..hannahthemaid....
http://journals.aol.com/hannahthemaid/MyLandOfMakeBelieve/

Anonymous said...

This reminds me so much of the fantasy/love story/movie -- "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", with (I believe) Rex Harrison (and The Captain) and Loretta Young, as Mrs. Muir.  Lovely Janice.  Thanks for sharing it.  Faerie

Anonymous said...

thank you both for your kind words   maybe soon a picture will be found  in a room not yet opened  you never know

janice marie
http://journals.aol.com/robertsreader/CUTTERSCOVE