Tuesday, June 21, 2005

THANKING THE CAPTAIN

Yesterday started out so nice, I thought as I sat at the kitchen table drinking a cup of coffee. The walk with the Captain and the tour of the house, until that jerk of an ex showed up and tried to hassle me.  I was so scared. Thank goodness that the Captain was around. I must thank him to day when I see him because I don't know what would have happened had he been elswhere and not able to help me. I am not strong enough to handle that jerk. 

I will take my coffee into the office and hopefully get some writing done today. It has been awhile since I have had the time to just sit and write. Maybe the Captain will come in and we can talk a bit and I will thank him again for what he did for me.

After I had been typing for about two hours, I felt the curtains blowing in a warm breeze. I looked up and there was the Captain. Just standing by the window looking out at the cove. He didn't say a word to me. Just stood there as if he was in some other place or time.

I got up and walked over to him and touched his shoulder and he turned his head toward me. He looked very upset. I started to thank him for the night before but he interrupted me and said.

"How could you have ever been engaged to someone like that man that came here yesterday?" "He is a complete idoit and has no manners at all, Lass. He didna care that he was hurting you and made me very angry when I saw him grabbing you and throwing you around." "What if I had not been close to help you?" "I am going to have to keep a closer eye on you ,lass because you seem to be needing someone to watch over you."

I just stared at him. Well, who did he think he was yelling at me like that and looking at me with a face that could sink ships.l very quietly went back to my desk and sat down and turned to face this scowling hugh man who had his hands on his hips. He looked as if he dared me to say something back to him.

"My dear Captain,"I said. "I appreciate all that you did for me last night." "I really was frightened by that jerk, but I don't think he will ever come back here again." "I don't think that you will have to watch every move that I make so that I will be safe." "I assure you that I am quite capable of taking care of myself."

"Hurrmp!!", he said, "You didna do such a good job yesterday." "If I had not been here in the house and heard the commotion who knows what might have happened to you." "So didna tell me that you do not need protecting Lass." "I'll not speak of this again." "I'll not let any harm come to you while I am here to protect you from people such as him. In my time, we would have keel halled the man and he would think twice about hurting a fine woman as yourself."

Keel halled, my goodness, I thought. In one way it scared me, but in another it made me feel so good that this man that barely knew me was willing to be a guardian for me. I simply thanked him and got up from my chair and approached the Captain. He just stood there with his hands clasped behind his back and waited as if he expected a fight from me. I did surprise him when I smiled and put my hands on his chest and stood up on tip toes and kissed his cheek and simply said."Thank you my dear Captain, Sir"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow..Wish hannah had a ghost like this one..does he like to dance..just asking trhats all..love this journal of yours..
jo..hannahthemaid....

Anonymous said...

Hey..
I came all the way over here to this place of yours so that i could like sit down inside of here and read this book of yours..and..hey where are those next words of yours..i want to know what happens..I can't believe you did this to me!
jo..Hannahthemaid....
http://journals.aol.com/hannahthemaid/MyLandOfMakeBelieve/