Saturday, July 16, 2005

Return home and surprise

I was breathless when I returned from my junt into town to pick up a few things I needed for my office and some grocery shopping as well. Those two bags were heavy as I walked down by the water back from town. I had to stop and look out at the ocean and it was such a beautiful day and the water was so blue and it looked so inviting. 

I didn't stay though because the Captain said that he would tell me another of his adventures today and I didn't want to miss that opportunity.  So I hurried alot faster than I should have and here I am breathing like I ran a marathron.

I went to the kitchen to put the groceries away, and I noticed that it felt very cold in there. I got an eerie feeling as I went into the room and I felt uneasy. I don't know why , but I felt like someone was watching me. I looked all around and it seemed to get colder and colder. I could see my breath and it made me panic a little. Why was this happening here? I put the bags down and started to put things away and all of a sudden some of the things from the bag fell to the floor and I could smell lilacs in the room. It was a very strong scent. I picked up the groceries and just put them on the counter and all I wanted to do was get out of there and return later. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me, after all the Captain was a ghost  and this was his home.  But the Captain never played jokes on me or tried to scare me either.

I was feeling paranoid and rather dumb, so I turned around and picked up the things that were on the floor and put them away. The room suddenly got warmer again and I could not smell the lilacs any more. Strange, I thought, what was going on here anyway.

I went into the office and brought my office supplies in and stashed them on the shelves and sat down at the desk and opened my computer and was writing when the Captain appeared by the window and walked over and sat down in the big chair in front of the desk.  I never was so happy to see him  as I was then. 

He looked at me and asked me what was wrong, because he said I looked as white as a sheet. I explained what happened in the kitchen and the strong smell of lilacs that permeated the kitchen while I was in there.

He just sat and didn't say a word. He rubbed his forehead back and forth with his hand and just sat deep in thought.  After what seemed like forever, he mentioned that his wife had preferred lilacs to any other flower and that it was strange that I should be smelling them in that room as she always had them in the kitchen on the table in the morning when he came down for breakfast.   I stared at him and just listened to every word he said. I didn't move a muscle.

He said that he had been able to hear her voice once in awhile, but never see her. He was not allowed to he thought because he had died the way he did, but he wondered why I smelled the lilacs in the kitchen and he never did. He asked me if I saw anything and I said no, that I was to frightened and it was so cold all I wanted to do was get the things put away and get out of there. I also told him that after the things fell on the floor the room got warmer and the lilac smell disappeared. He looked up sharpely at me and just stared . He was scaring me now.

I don't know what happened in that room and I hoped that it never happened again. Was his wife able to come and go here too? Did she want me gone? Oh! I was not to happy now.

The Captain sensed my unease and got up and walked around the desk to me and said that I had nothing to worry about. His wife was not able to materialize and he only heard her in his head. She had never bothered anyone before and he knew that she would not hurt me. Maybe she just wanted to see who had moved in here and now would go away.  I looked at him, this handsome, strong and gorgous man and thought to myself, that if I was his wife and  able to come back, I would not like some woman moving in my house with my husband, whether I was alive or dead.

After all this termoil we decided to just go for a walk in the gardens and not write anything today. I was too shook up anyway. and the Captain seemed to be deep in thought also. So we   left the office by the patio doors and walked out into the flower garden and stayed out most of the afternoon just walking and enjoying the many flowers and plants that were so elegantly arranged. In the middle of the garden was a gazzabo and he and I decided to sit there and just talk and relax for the rest of the day until dinner time. 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved it..yes i did..and i thank you so much for this amazing entry of yours!
jo..Hannahthemaid....
http://journals.aol.com/hannahthemaid/Time/

Anonymous said...

Them are lovely pictures.I'd love to live somewhere nice like that.