Friday, July 22, 2005

Adventures of the Captain

The Captain and I are in the office and he is going to tell me about one of his favorite voyages that he made.

I settled down by my computer and got everything ready so I could take down every word he said. Gosh! he looks so dashing today! He is wearing a tee shirt and jeans and nothing on his feet. Lounging on the over stuffed chair and he is so big that he over fills it and makes it look small.  I have got to stop this and start thinking of what he is saying.

He smiled at me, and asked me if I was paying attention, which only made me blush and stammer.  I nodded and he chuckled a bit and said "ok,lets get on with the adventure."

"I was sailing out of India when I noticed a young lady walking down the path some distance away. She was so beautiful and I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. "I started to walk along side of the boat so that I could see her better , but we were already moving out of port and it was hard to make out all of her features." "I wanted to turn that ship around and run up that hill and find out who she was, I don't even know why I was so possessed to do so."  Well, I didn't  stop the boat, but I couldn't stop thinking of that girl and I promised myself that the next time I came here I would find out who she was and where she lived and most important if she was available."

"It wasn't for another two months that I was once again in India and I left the boat in search of this maiden. " "I looked high and low all through the town and asked all I saw about this shadow of a woman I saw when I was leaving two months ago."

One shop keeper seemed to know who I was talking about because when I discribed her to him, he smiled and said it was Miss Katherine McDonald and she lived with her mom and dad in the house on Topper ST. I asked him if she was engaged or spoken for and he smiled again and his eyes twinkled a bright blue. "No,"he said,"Miss Katherine is a free woman and not easy to make do as  you want her too , she is very strong willed, you know." 

"his made me smile now, because when it came to stubborness I am the master of it and I have a very strong will also. I usually get what I set out to get." He stated.

I just sat there and listened to what I was beginning to believe was how he met his wife Katherine. So that was her name. I couldn't take my eyes off of him, because he just glowed when he talked about her.

"Well,"he said,"I got directions to that house on Topper ST. and took off in that direction to meet this woman that had plagued my dreams for the last two months." "As I walked, I kept thinking how I was going to get into that house to meet this girl when I didn't even know the family or the girl for that matter." "All I knew was that her name was Katherine and she was a vision, a angel."

"Well, I got to the door and gathered up my courage and knocked and waited there like a condemmed man waiting for the axe to fall." "You can't imagine my surprise when the door was opened by a good friend of mine that I did alot of business with." "I actually grinned and laughed out loud and at the same time sighed a sigh of relief." Here was my way into the house. It seemed he was a cousin of hers and was visiting that day and that she and he were going for a buggy ride in the park. "Well, to my good fortune, he had come to take her out and asked me along."."I of course agreed and he bid me enter and he introduced me to her mom and dad and I waited in anticipation for this vision to come into the room." "When she did, I could feel my breath quicken and it felt as if my heart was racing." "I had never in my life ever felt that way about a woman ." "She was beautiful beyond words and so tiny and petite and gracious."

"myfriend introduced us and I fell in love with her the moment I looked into her beautiful eyes. I would do anything in the world for her."

"She smiled back and offered her hand to me and I took it into mine and kissed her tiny fingers gently. " "She blushed,"he chuckled." I guess she was surprised that I did that ."

"Well, we went for that buggy ride and many more after that." "Oh! She was stuborn and so was I but when I looked into her eyes I just melted and would do anything for her." "Many months later I asked her father for her hand and he slapped me on the back and said that he couldn't think of a better man for his daughter than me."

"We were married the following year and in the mean time, I had this house built for us and purchased Cutters Cove. I gave it to her for a wedding present and she was overjoyed." "We spent many happy moments in this house and we love each other without end."

"We didn't have children right away, we wanted to wait until the business was better and we had the house all done and everything in its place as she always told me." "So, it was five years before we decided to have a child and she was doing ok and every day that she was pregnant, she grew more beautiful to me.""I could not wait for that child to be born and neither could she."

He stopped there and just stared out the window of the room. He sat and didn't say a word, and I just sat too, not wanting to interrupt his memories as he thought back. He had told me how his wife had died and his child. I already knew this tragic end to this beautiful marriage. So I didn't pressure him.

All of a sudden, he got up and looked at me and said." You know all the rest. I don't want to go into that again." I shook my head yes, and he nodded and strolled out of the room.

I typed way into the night and got all that story down and read and re read it many times. How sad that someone that was so loved had to be taken away like that. Life is strange and death is stranger. I felt grief for the Captain and for Katherine and the baby boy he never saw alive.

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is strange and death is stranger. I felt grief for the Captain and for Katherine and the baby boy he never saw alive.

Beautiful and sad, Janice.  So beautiful.  Faerie

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story and so sad  you have told it so well.

Sandy