Friday, July 1, 2005

THE CAPTAINS ROOM AND DEN

I have been waiting for the Captain all morning and hopeing that he hasn't forgotten that he promised to show me his special collection today. I have been curious since he told me that what he had was very special.

Suddenly he appears at the door and bids me to follow him to the stairs. We climb up to the third floor and he takes a key out of his waistcoat and opens a hugh door. He then tells me to enter and he goes and puts the lamps on in the room. It is so large. There are pictures on the walls and cases with various things in them. He takes me by the hand and we start to walk around the room as he explains to me what each thing is. The first thing he shows me is a picture of one of his fathers first boats.It is beautiful and in full sail. He said his father used that boat to go to India for the dyes he transported to Ireland. The next thing he shows me is a case that has a picture of General Lee and his revolver and holster in it. This amazes me. I ask him why he would have this and he simply states that he is very much interested in the Civil War period and has been reading about that period in our history for a long time.  Amazingly enough, the next case contains the gun and holster and picture of General Grant. I am slightly dumbstruck by this case. I just look at him and he smiles and pulls me forward. This case truly is the cope de gra. Here is Abrabham Lincoln and his famous speech that he made. "Fore score and....." there is also his pipe. I am at a loss for words. I ask him if these are all real and he nodds his head and says,"Yes, they are all real" "I bought them at an auction many years ago and they have been here ever since, and I will not let them leave this house." "Now that is another reason why I didn't want anyone to come in this room and find these treasures of mine and destroy this room." "I looked all along the walls and on the tables in the room. There was so many things of history there. Books and books about the Civil War. Illustarated and beautifully bonded. How wonderful a find. I gently ran my hand over the books and asked if I might open a few and look at them more closely . The Captain smiled and said that I might touch anything in this room , but that I had to promise never to let anyone else see his treasures. He stated that this is where he stayed and read well into the night each and every night. He had a library of books in here scattered all over the room. Most on shelves but others stacked here and there on different tables.  What a magnificent room full of things that musuems would fight for. How lucky for me. I decided that I would not write about this room because it would bring attention to the relics here and might make people come here to see if they are real. I would do nothing to hurt the Captain after all his kindness to me, but I would be back again and again to look and read for myself whenever I could. 

I turned to thank the Captain and he was no longer there. That man had a way of disappearing on me all the time!!!! He had left the key on the table by the door so I picked it up and put it in my pocket and would make sure that no one ever got ahold of it. I would keep my promise to the Captain.  I just wish he would let me know he was leaving rather than just disappearing.

I felt sort of lonely without him there. I didn't understand that either. Well, I had better get down stairs and back to my writing , before the day turned to night. I haven't had much chance to write much lately with moving in and I still haven't been in every room either. Well, that can wait. I am going to get a cup of coffee and sit down at the computer and write about his adventure at sea that he had told me about yesterday.  HUmmm this coffee is sooo good.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!loved it as usual..awesome write..I waited and i waited and i looked forward to a PICTURE of HIM!..and so...
jo..Mistaculangel....

Anonymous said...

This is me Poofangel..And wheres that picture of that over handsome ghost..with jet blackest hair..for this is how i see him..and more please!
jo..Poofangel....

Anonymous said...

Janice..
Hannah gave up on soap operas a long long time ago..and so i have waited ..and i have waited for that picture of that ghostman of yours..and i could not wait to click on that you had updated this journal of yours..because you promised me that it would be here..and there they were..six pictures..and yes all of them were like past great..but hannah thought that you had saved the best one for last..meaning him..and you tricked me..you tricked hannahthemaid..may i ask where he is hiding..well i did anyways!by the way..hannah over adores this journal of yours.
jo..Hannahthemaid....