Thursday, August 18, 2005

JOurney to the city

I decided to sit at this desk today and read all this mail that is going to fall off the desk pretty soon if I don't get to it soon.

I had sent in a folder of poems that my publisher asked me to send and there is a letter from her here that I had better open and read.

She says that this one poem that I wrote is perfect for the piece that the city newspaper is going to write on the subject of Happiness. It seems that they have a contest running and she has entered that poem in the contest and they have informed her that I have won . How wonderful is that?  I am pleased that they liked it and she wants me to come to the city because they want to do a story on me and take pictures and I will be taken out for the celebration and given a plaque and it will have my poem on it. The poem will be syndicated and put in all the newspapers that Mr. Jones owns. She wants to know if I can come and stay for about two weeks so that after all the ceremonies with the paper ,she and I can go over this book that I am writing about Cutters Cove. The papers I have already sent her have made her anxious to talk to me and see the outline I have made for the book. Also if I have any more written she wants to see that also.

Wow! I am honored and yet I hate to leave. I am happy but sad. I don't understand. I should be thrilled that I have this opportunity to let myself be seen and it will help sell my books for me if people see me and remember me. I hate leaving here. I wish they could come here instead.

I think I will go for a walk on the beach and look at that magnificent for masted boat that sailed into the cove today. It is about 65 feet long or more and it is a boat that takes people on it for vacations touring around the ports. It is so huge and beautiful. There are alot of boats in the cove today. It is a perfect day for sailing. I will walk down there and just calmly think about how happy I feel that I have won. I am happy about winning. Especially since I didn't know I entered.

(Well, were did that lass go now? Oh! I see her walking down to the beach and cove. She works to hard it will be good for her. I will not bother her now. Ahhh, I see she finally is looking over her mail. I have never seen anyone like her before. Usually people tear at their mail. She just pushes it in a pile until it is ready to tumble to the floor and then she wearily gets to it. Whats this on the floor here?  Seems like a poem. Let me see, ahhhh, yes it is a poem . I wonder what she wrote. I will sit down and read it.

BEAUTIFUL TO ME
By Janice Marie

Getting up just before the sun rises and watching as it does
Seeing its glory and brilliance shinning from above
Looking out into the fields and admiring the acres of wildflowers
Gently waving back and forth in the breeze
Rainbows of colors stretching as far as the eye can see
All of this just waiting for us to enjoy and all of it for free

A walk along the beach letting the sand sift through our toes
Feeling its softness and silkiness as we slowly stroll
Gazing out at the water as it glistens in its slumber
Looking like a sheet of glass not a ripple to be seen
Just the silence and sweetness of the sea
Gentle lapping as the water touches the shore

Mountains reaching up into the clouds covered with snow
While we all gaze in wonderment here down below
Dressed on its sides with trees in different shades of green
Acres of wildflowers thrown here and there in between
No artist alive could paint a picture of this glorious scene
In wonderment we look upon this creation by a superior being

Not judging people by their outer appearances
Because all their beauty lies within their heart
Strength, kindness, honesty, doesn’t show on ones face
It is deep within the heart that is its home base
Given freely and without expecting anything in return
Hands reaching out and holding on as our hearts yearn

These are the beautiful things that I see everyday
As I go about my work and when I am at play
There is beauty abounding all you have to do
Is open your heart and eyes and look around you
Embrace what has been given to you within reach
And by doing so maybe others we will be able to teach

 

Well, this is really wonderful and this letter attached says that her publisher has sent it in and she has won. She has to go to New York for about two weeks to take care of all her business. Two whole weeks!! I will miss her terribly.  Ahh here comes the lass now. I will put these back and pretend I haven't seen them. I will go and come back in the office in a bit.)

Wow! I don't know what to do, maybe I should call her and ask if they can come here or if she would like to come here and stay and work with me on this book. I don't want to leave. I really don't.

I looked up and there was the Captain standing in front of me with a scowl on his face and those eyes penetrating through me, his hands on his hips and legs spread apart. What is wrong now?

"Well lass, did ya have a nice walk then? You seem to be out of sorts, what is bother ing you ?"the Captain said.

I explained all about the letter and my publisher and having to leave for New York for two weeks and that I didn't want to go. I rather they come here and let me stay in my home.

The Captain just shook his head and stood his ground. "I'll not be having a bunch of people staying in me house, you will go and take care of your business and then return when it is all done." "Do ya understand me lass?" "If they come here I will not have the run of my own home and I will not have that.""Besides you have been coped up here for ever and need a break." "So now, lass, you be calling that publisher of yours and find out when you are to be there and get your stuff together and go." "The sooner you go the faster you can come back and I'll be watching over things for you here, you can be sure of that."

I reluctantly picked up the phone and dialed the number and talked to my publisher and we made the plans for me to leave the next day and be in New York and get everything settled. I looked up and the Captain was standing by the patio window with his hands behind his back and just staring out at thecove.

I told him that I had to go and pack and they were making all the plane reservations for me and I would leave in the morning. He never turned around and never said one word. But as I walked out of the room I heard him say very softly,"I will be waiting for you lass, hurry back to me."




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes this is sellable and very believeable from someone whom devotes her time to writing and cares for other writers in the same boat.
JImbo very impressed and waiting to see what will be next for my friend.
Good luck Your friend Jimbo

Anonymous said...

The poem (and the entire write) is fantastic -- but . . . I got to those last words, from the Cap'n, and I felt mesmerized.  You CAN'T leave him!