Friday, December 2, 2005

WINTER IN THE COVE/CAPTAIN AND I

The weather has turned colder and I can see from my bedroom window that their is a fresh blanket of snow that has fallen during the night. How beautiful the cove and surrounding area looks. A rebirth of nature and a cleansing of the earth. I have always felt this way when the first real snow comes and covers everything as far as you can see. So beautiful and restful to see.

Dressed and sitting at my desk with my third cup of coffee, I have tried to write but I just can't seem to settle into my novel. I keep looking out the veranda doors at all that beauty below and my heart is telling me to just get out of here and go . Go and walk in all that sweet smelling wonderful snow.

Behind me like a whisper the Captain appears, I am not scared. I have become very used to having him appear out of nowhere. I can tell he is near by the scent that he wears.

I turn and smile as I see this wonderful man before me. He smiles back and we both walk up to the veranda doors and he  opens them and takes in a deep breath of fresh sweet smelling winter air. I look at him with so much longing it scares me sometimes.

He always knows what I am thinking. I swear he does. Because he turns to me and wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me close to him. With those dark beautiful eyes staring right into mine he lowers his head and gently kisses my forehead and tightens his hold on me. Not a word is said as we gaze out at all of the beauty before us.

"Now, Lass," he says. "Let's go and take a walk  into the woods in the back and enjoy the freshness of this glorious winter day." "Now off with you , and if ye are real good, I will tell ye another tale."

We can feel the crunch of the new fallen snow as we walk hand in hand and talk and laugh. Suddenly he stops me and points over to the west. There in plain view is a doe and a buck just standing and looking at us. Neither of them moved a muscle as we stood quietly and watched them. How lovely animals look in their nature habitat. The does huge eyes looked as if she could see right through me. I whispered to the captain."Why don't they run?" He said,"Nae, They know that there is no harm coming to them from you and me." "Animals can sense danger and if they felt ill at ease they would have fled before we even had seen them." 

"Now Lass, I promised you a tale." "Let me think for  a second which one to tell."

I looked at this mountain of a man and asked him,"When you are on your ship and the weather turns fowl, how do you handle it?"

He simply smiled at me and said,"I've learned lass, that yae don't try to reason with an ocean current, but simply travel with it." "Ye just do what is necessary and let the currents work for ye not against ye."

"Now that tale I promised to ye." There was a time that we had pulled into port and my crew and I were at the local pub having a meal and some brew when a drunken man became very abusive to a wench at the bar. My man and I did not want to interfere, but when I saw that he was going to strike this child, I no longer could tolerate him." "I walked up very calmly and took the young lass by the hand and told her to get back to her chores." "This angered the drunken sailor and he taped me on the shoulder and said what business was it of mine to send that wench away?"

"I turned very quietly and calmly and the look in my eyes was all that  that drunk needed to see." "He drank up his mug and hurried out of the door."

I was amazed and asked."All it took was one look from you to send him scurrying away without a fuss?"

That amazing smile reappeared and he said,"Aye", he said giving my shoulder a squeeze."Ya might want to keep that in mind in the future. The more furious I am, the calmer I get." He winked and gave me that mischievous smile and threw his head back and laughed. 

Gosh! This mountain of a man is so magnificent! Just looking at him turns my insides to jelly. Head thrown back as he laughs his deep throated laugh with his long hair flowing in the breeze, takes my breath away.I could spend my whole day just looking at him and feeling the warmth of his hand holding mine sends tingles up and down my body.

Slowly we walked the land and talked till I became very chilled. He noticed that I was shivering and wrapped his arm around me and we headed back to the house.

Once inside he walked up to the fireplace in the office and snapped his fingers and the fireplace glowed with flames. My mouth dropped open and he laughed at me once more. Walked over and with the tip  of his finger under my chin closed my mouth. Smiling he kept his finger there and gazed into my eyes. I could see myself reflected there and I was hypnoized with the sight of the flicking flames of the fire and sparkles I saw there. A slow smile spread across his face and he dipped his head down and opened his mouth slightly and kissed my lips so softly I wasn't sure he even touched them.  Then he stepped back , turned and left the room. I hadn't realized that I was holding my breath and it came out in a swoosh!

I sat down by my desk and enjoyed the warmth of the room as I started to type the tale that the Captain had told me as we walked in the new fallen snow. What a wonderful feeling of peace and serenity over came me and I began to hum a song from a time when I was very young.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully worded and love expressed so openly and warmly.

great write

Kathy

Anonymous said...

This must have taken a lot of time and enjoyment to write a wonderful story.  Just as I said in the past your the best.

Anonymous said...

this is added at the request of a good friend that cannot excess to post her remarks.  

Oh, my heart .... You should be the TOP writer for Harlequin!  That
Cap'n is soooo real!   He is turning me to mush!  

Thanks Phyllis!!  

Anonymous said...

You have a very unique way of writing. I will visit you again very soon.
Ellen
http://journals.aol.com/eelliemae42/Adaywithtrouble/